Prep time: 20 minutes
• 2 medium kohlrabi
• 6-8 radishes, different varieties to make it more interesting
• 15 sprigs mint
• 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
• 1 lemon, zest and juice
• 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• sea salt
• black pepper
• 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
• ¼ lb. goat feta
• ½ cup zesty breadcrumbs (below)
1. Peel kohlrabi and quarter; slice into ¼-inch-thick pieces. Cut the radishes into a similar size.
2. Toss kohlrabi, radish, mint, vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
3. On a serving plate, spread butter in a circular pattern. Layer the salad over the butter. Slice or crumble the feta over the salad, then dust the salad with the zesty breadcrumbs and serve.
• 1 tablespoon organic canola oil
• 4 slices sourdough bread (or any lighter color bread)
• zest of 5 lemons
• 4 tablespoons aonori (dried green seaweed)
• 4 tablespoons ground sumac
• kosher salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add sliced sourdough and cook on both sides, adjusting temperature as necessary, until well toasted and a deep golden color. Remove bread from skillet and let it dry and cool to room temperature.
2. Crumble bread into a food processor and pulse until ground to the size of large cracked pepper.
3. Empty crumbs into a bowl and season with lemon zest, aonori, ground sumac, kosher salt and pepper. The result should be very savory and slightly acidic.
Recipe courtesy of The Whelk, www.thewhelkwestport.com
Chef de Cuisine Anthony Koselis, Chef/Owner Bill Taibe