• 2 beets, scrubbed and quartered
• 3 sprigs thyme
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• salt and pepper to taste
• 2/3 cup farro
• 1 bell pepper
• 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
• 3 cups arugula, washed
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Put beets and thyme sprigs on a large piece of aluminum foil and sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Close the foil around the beets to form a package, and roast for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
3. Put farro in saucepan, cover with water, and add salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until grains are tender. Drain farro and set aside in a bowl.
4. Meanwhile, place the bell pepper under a broiler for 10 minutes or until blackened, turning to char entire surface. Remove from oven, cover with a dishtowel, and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove and discard skin and cut flesh into slivers.
5. Add bell pepper slivers, walnuts, and arugula to the bowl with farro and toss. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Arrange this salad base on a plate. Top with roasted beets and garnish with thyme sprigs.
Contributed by Jessica Bengston, Sous-Chef, Terrain Garden Café, Westport